Thursday, August 30, 2012


These are there Binders- (I used this system from 2012-2013) I do it a little different now 2013-2014- 

There are many other forms of this kind of "idea" out there. I have seen it done with boxes or drawers but I did not want to spend that much, nor do I have that much space. So I came up with these, and they are working GREAT for us.

What they are- these are where I list many activities that they can do on their own (mostly) Many school things we do together, but I like to spend time with each boy 1-2 times a week so in here are a ray of activities that are educational, they can do on there own. (although Ryan does Lots of things in his binder with me)
In the binder there are tabs for different subjects. Under each tab there is a large wipe off card (a piece of paper I made with a title and image that matches then I laminated it) On this card is a list of things they can choose to do in that subject. For example, for Ethan, under math, he can do a math puzzle, or activity math worksheet, or play a dice math game. Under spelling he can practice his words with stamps, finger paints of letter tiles. For Aaron under Math he can play a shapes pattern game, do a addition puzzle, or do a dot to dot page. Under Letters he can do letters with bend-a-roos, or do his letter sticker book etc. Ryan under shapes, he can play a shapes game, do a shapes activity page or under colors, he can do a color matching game or do his color sticker book .... get the idea here?

I try to list 3-4 things (for Ryan and Aaron 2-3 to many choices can be overwhelling) in each subject. Depending on how much we use the binders thy activities in them will last 3-5 weeks. Then I wip off the cards and put on new ideas. (I get the idea from my master ideas list- which is still in the process of developing, and I think will constantly be growing)

In side the front of their binders is this 9 pocket page protector, the top row they put the day of the week, the weather, and there "job" for the week (Ryan needs help but loves this) The boys loved doing the weather, and having jobs in preschool so we kept that and it has worked out well. The rest of the pockets is where they "plan there activities"
In their binder there is a packet full of cards one representing all the different topics they have a tab for, Some are the same for each boy some are different. They also have the job, weather and days of the week cards. From this they pick what subject they want to do in what order. Then when they use their binder they go to that tab and from the list on the wipe off card they pick what they want to do. When they are done they turn the card over. Once all the cards are done, they can re-set their binders.

In the morning when I set the daily schedule, the boys get their "schedules set" remember this is just for binder activites only, so when the Main calender says "stations" with the binder picture they pull these out. I hope this makes sense.
I got MANY ideas from this book click HERE on activities for them to do, I also have lots of preschool/parent kid books and many I just came up with. If you want ideas let me know and I can email you my lists. These things do not have to be big, the idea is for them do learn to plan, do and return and report on there own goals. The focus is getting self motivated, and involved and entertained while I work with another child or pay bills, or something like that. We do not do these everyday, but most days we do. They do not work from them for long periods at a time, the activities in them are short 15-30 minutes tops. But they are a great for keeping them focused. If you have ANY questions about this system PLEASE ASK!

No comments:

Post a Comment