Friday, September 6, 2013

Lego Books we use.


I have had A LOT of people ask me about what Lego books we use. So I thought I would share what we like here. 



 I did A LOT of looking and looking and reading before getting this book, there are LOTS out there. but this one we like the best! Some others just show the sets Lego has done, others are like this but use a lot of really advanced stuff, and lots of specialty things. I found this book to have both some advanced and some simple things. It also gives really good tips too. BUT it does NOT have step by step instructions. (which I knew- but I just wanted to make that clear.)
 Here is an example above is a pic from the book and bellow is Dallin with my version of the plane
 I will admit sometimes I get frustrated because I "can't tell how they built it" of I think "if I could see the other side, or the underside of it" some things they dooo show undersides or back sides but not everything. Even so I still love this book the  best - for ages 8 to Adults
 Her is another example Here is the barn pictures that inspired my Barn that we made here is just one pick- click on the Lego activities to see more pictures

Book example bellow 
There is another "series" of Lego books we like by Sean Kenney- I have looked at all of them but I only really liked two enough to by them (used even). They are cute, and fun, but pretty short. So you do not get a lot of ideas for the price. We have this "cool Cars and Trucks book" and also the "cool Robots book" We have borrowed this one from the Library "cool Castles" but I did not feel the boys would use it enough to buy it. These books are fun for younger kids to look at but not really any easier builds to do still say ages 7-13 and up 

The other one we have is 

The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide

this one is for ages 10 to adults, and there is not a lot of pictures, this is written details about how to use your Lego's to build stable things, cool textures and different tips. I honestly have not read it to much as it is a gift for Ethan but we have not given it to him yet. 

This is the other book that I have not gotten yet but I am thinking will be our next Lego book purchase IF we decided we need more books. 

It is called the Lego Idea Adventure book  it does show more step by steps but it seems to use a lot of fancy specialty pieces. I just flipped though it once at a book store, but I would like to go back and look at it some more before I buy it. 

We have also found a lot of fun ideas on pintrest and this site is really cool (see bellow) it has free instructions for LOTS of sets, so if you have a lot of Legos you may already have the pieces just need some instructions. 

this one called Lets build again 

Well hope you and your Lego Loving family find this helpful! 

1 comment:

  1. Good to know! I'd seen this recommended on other sites before, but the pages in the preview on amazon are mostly for sets and I don't plan on buying many sets so I wasn't sure if it was good for everyday building. I need to get a LOT more legos for that kind of building! We have very basic bricks so far- we just barely are getting into lego's, but I'm pretty sure our library has this book, so I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete