Monday, September 16, 2013

Random Fun things...

These are just some random picture from some of the stuff we did. I would like to be super organized with regular experiments, art project and activities, but I am not. In a perfect world I would like art once a week, and science with a hands on project once a week, and then a history or whatever other subject hands on activity, or even math once a week. But it never goes that way. And I am now ok with it. We do the projects and things when we get to it.

Here are the boys are doing a project from one of the science books we have about light, and color they had a lot of fun with this section.
I love these books we have a few of them. They are fun and colorful. I love that they really are pretty advanced. For my younger kids I do not read it all, just skim it, and look at the pictures and talk about it but for my older kids there really is a lot for them to take in. They are for ages 5-10 the author is Kimberly Brubarker. We read this book, and then made balloon rockets an idea I found on pintrest. The LOVED it! and want to do it again!
I am really enjoying our Art Program (ARTistic Pursuits) Here the kids are using water color crayons to make a picture. I also want to mixing this up with other things too... I will share whenever we get around to actually doing it... if we do... ha ha
Ethan is really into reading and writing, and enjoying learning vocab. The way we do Vocabulary is when he is reading, he underlines words that he does not know. I trust him to be honest and do this. I am sure he does not always, but many times he does add words to his list. We also add words to the list as he reads to me, or as I am reading and he will ask what a work means. He keeps this running list and then once a week he picks 2 words from this list, and he uses this page that I made up in word. Where he writes the word, then the definition, which he looks up on the ipad, then we talk about to to make sure he understands it. Then he comes up with a way to use that word in a sentence. Then he draws a picture of the sentence he created. This works for us I feel like it is efficient and you can do it as often as you like. I do not know how to share word documents on a blog so if you want it them ask me.
Aaron is doing one of the boys favorite games, making up silly sentences. We have a game that we bought from a used home school book sale but often times we like to make up our own. And we cover a little grammar along the way. The pics "things" or "people" and I write them on note cards that I cut into strips. Then they think of "adjectives" and I write those. I think in this lesson Aaron was learning how state of being and linking verbs work. We also will reads some fun grammar books too.
Here Ryan built out of Legos When we learned about the Erie Canal- I think I may have already posted about this so sorry if it is a repeat, but often times the kids like to act out or build things we have learned about and I love it when they do that.

Here is when we did a Volcano science lesson- this was back in the fall of 2012
this was  a few months ago, it was our Balloon Rockets- we are for sure doing this again, and I bet that wont me the last time either. I will for sure make the strings longer next time. 

Ethan is doing a math activity with a book that we got at a yard sale, basicly it is copy work, but it is good way for him to pratice those math facts. Aaron is going a game with a dart gun he hits a number then a nother number then he add or subtracts them. He has a +/- dice I made that he rolls. I got plain dice at a teacher store and put the symbles on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment